Business Building & Contents Insurance for the Self-Employed

Few things can be more crippling to a business than the damage or loss of a business premises and/or contents. If you operate from a premises you own, or have made alterations to a rented space, you should seriously consider taking out business building and contents insurance.

If you don’t and the property suffers damage, through something like fire, flood or storm, the cost of repairs will be solely down to you, and you may have to cease trading until it’s fixed

What is Business Building & Contents Insurance?

Much like domestic buildings and contents insurance, business building and contents insurance protects your business premises. It’s important to ensure that the premises are insured for their full rebuilding cost (including associated fees of the cost of site clearance), as opposed to its market value.

Shops, offices, showrooms and clinics are all examples of commercial property that may be insured, and are vital to protect if you rely on them for your income. Business premises can be extremely expensive to repair or rebuild, so it’s important to protect your livelihood for peace of mind.

Examples of unexpected accidents that can have devastating effects include:

● A fire remains unnoticed overnight at a pottery workshop, causing severe damage to the building and its contents
● A cold snap causes a pipe to burst in a warehouse, resulting in flood damage to flooring and products
● Thieves break into a commercial property, damaging equipment in the process

What is Covered Under Commercial Buildings Insurance

While policies will vary, there are several circumstances that will generally be covered by commercial buildings insurance. These include things such as:

  • Fire
  • Storms
  • Theft
  • Burst pipes and flooding
  • Riots
  • Subsidence


Some policies will also cover accidental damage, rebuilding costs, trace and access (for locating damage to drains, cables etc) and emergency services (such as the cost of fire extinguishers). Generally speaking, the more add ons and additional cover you opt for, the more expensive your premiums will be.

Business contents insurance covers your equipment that is stored within your premises. Whether you’re a programmer or an accountant, it’s likely you have items that will be expensive to replace or repair, that could set your business back substantially.

Again, each policy will be different and can vary depending on the industry you reside in. When deciding on the level of cover, ask yourself what items you could afford to replace or repair yourself in the event of an accident.

How Dead Simple Insurance Can Help

At Dead Simple Insurance, we know what policies you need to protect your employees, yourself and most importantly: your business. We can help you find the best prices from reputable providers, taking the hassle out of buildings and contents insurance.